Sigmund Freud said "The conscious mind is just the tip of the iceberg". What he meant by this is that the subconscious is where the majority of our life is controlled.
Our subconscious is responsible for controlling many autonomous bodily functions we do not have to think about. It also sorts, processes and retrieves information eg when you cannot remember someone's name and it comes to you hours later when doing something unrelated. Everything we have ever experienced, every place we have been to, every person we have met, every conversation we have had - all of this information is stored in the subconscious. If we were aware of this massive encyclopaedia consciously, it would drive us mad.
But the function of the subconscious that we need to be aware of is how it creates our reality and it does this in conjunction with our beliefs. "Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're probably right." (Henry Ford)
We need to know the following important facts about how the subconscious operates:
1. Your subconscious always takes you literally; it does not understand jokes.
2. Your subconscious always attempts to link to previously stored information as a reference point.
3. Your subconscious acts on the strongest or more dominant programme:
- # times the same information has been presented
- the vividness of the programme, how specific and clear it is
"A picture is worth a thousand words".
- the emotions or feelings attached to the programme
- the perceived importance of the source of the programme, ie where you heard that idea.
4. Information presented to the subconscious triggers an emotional and physical response. Each thought sends a message to every cell of the body.
5. The subconscious will continue to operate on a programme until given a new programme. For example, "Money doesn't grow on trees" can be replaced with "Everything I need is given to me in abundance."
6. The subconscious cannot distinguish between actual reality and imagined reality.
7. The subconscious is a system of checks and balances.
8. The more relaxed your body is, the more relaxed your conscious mind will be. The more relaxed your conscious mind is, the easy it will be to access your subconscious mind and the more susceptible your subconscious mind will be to new suggestions as it gives less resistance by evaluating new information.
9. Every brain is a receiving set and a broadcasting station. This is the basis of the Law of Attraction = what you receive will determine what you think about and give out to the universe.
Have you ever thought of someone and picked up the phone to call them only to find they are already on the other end calling you? Or have you thought about someone for the first time in ages and received a call from them the next day? Some call that a coincidence. Those of us who practice the Law of Attraction know differently.
10. The subconscious is the doorway to infinite intelligence. Hunches, intuition and gut principles are all methods of receiving guidance from a higher power.
11. Time means nothing to your subconscious. It only understands the present tense although we speak in different tenses in our conscious mind. That is why it is important to state the new reality we wish to create in the present, not in the "one day" of the future.
Information extracted from "The Power to Create" by Jerry Clark, one of the courses available to members of the on-line Success University.
NB The above points explain why hypnosis is so effective. By allowing the body to relax quickly, the conscious mind relaxes and allows the doorway to the subconscious to open. Once we have direct access to the subconscious, we can quickly and effectively rewrite the programming. There may be areas of your life in which hypnosis can help you quickly and effectively to overcome whatever negative factor or habit is holding you back, allowing you to move forward and create the life you desire.
Click here for Self-Improvement Hypnosis MP3 Downloads.
Antonia Stuart-James is an English Hypnotherapist in Belgium helping people to make positive change in their lives. She is also a student with Success University.