NLP stands for Neuro Linguistic Programming and was created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder about 30 years ago.
What is NLP?
It is basically an approach to improve thinking and communication skills
Why do people use it?
For a variety of different reasons including:
* Improving what they do now
* Developing particular business skills eg leadership, sales, executive coaching, presenting with impact and influencing
* Entertainment eg Paul McKenna and Darren Brown
* Changing habits eg stopping smoking, gaining confidence etc
* Seduction and enhanced pleasure
* Personal change and development
These can have a positive and significant impact on an individual's life
Where did it come from?
NLP is based on modelling good performance. The two co-founders Richard Bandler and John Grinder started NLP by modelling people who were able to help others develop and change.
NLP is particularly useful for anyone involved in personal or company change.
What are some of the basics?
NLP is really about exploring three areas:
1. Attitudes that lead to success
2. Modelling what works
3. Developing and using techniques that result from attitudes and modelling
What is the learning style?
It is learning by exploring. It is experiential, you learn by going first. If there is a key skill in NLP it is listening and watching without interpreting.
How has NLP helped you?
I have found that I am much more in charge of my life, communicating is easier and it has enabled me to open a lot of new doors.
Communication and learning leeds to change. It starts with yourself and not others. It can involve a certain amount of personal courage.
Source: Michael Beale, UK NLP Practitioner